Nebraska 12
Oklahoma 0

Oct. 31, 1925

Sooners Downed by 12-0 Score

Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, Neb., Oct. 31 — Nebraska avenged a 1924 defeat before a crowd of 10 thousand this afternoon when the Cornhuskers achieved their second Missouri Valley victory of the season at the expense of the Oklahoma Sooners, 12 to 0. The victory of the Beargmen was more decisive than the score would indicate, the Cornhuskers out-yarding and out-downing their heavier opponents and forcing the Sooners to resort to aerial football to furnish the only southern threat.

Nebraska, on the other hand, mixed straight football with double, triple and forward passes for a pair of neatly executed touchdowns. The first, the result of hard, smashing play, which carried the ball 59 yards down the field from the opening kickoff until Rhodes had crossed the final chalk mark. The second touchdown came in the final period, the result of a neatly executed forward pass, Brown to A. Mandery, which sent the Tecumseh youth scurrying across.

Unbalanced Line Works

Outweighed by a goodly margin in line and backfield, the Cornhuskers uncovered a line shift which tossed an unbalanced forward wall against the Sooners in nearly every play. Behind the screen the Nebraska backs exchanged the ball with lightning speed while the forwards were cutting quick openings through which the backs dashed for substantial gains.

Defensively the Nebraska eleven with Captain Ed Weir and Center Hutchison in the stellar roles presented a veritable stonewall. Weir was a demon on nearly every play, thrice sifting through to smother the Oklahoma backs for heavy losses. Once the Nebraska leader on the start of a triple pass by the Sooners was behind the line and embraced the first two men as they completed the first exchange and spilled them both, clinging onto the ball lugger for a seven-yard loss as the latter frantically sought to rid himself of the pigskin.

Harold the Hutch was himself. He not only met the Oklahoma drives at the center with a steady shoulder but also roamed behind the line, helping smother the Sooner passing attack which for a time appeared dangerous.

It was in the first quarter shortly after Nebraska had scored its first touchdown, Oklahoma received the kickoff and started to smash and batter its way down the field. In midfield, the Sooners essayed a smash at the center of the line. Hutchison met the play squarely and diving into the center of the line, shouldered the Oklahoma back and lifting him high in the air, deposited him behind the Sooner scrimmagers. The sudden halt of affairs seemed to discourage the Sooner line plunging and the Southerners fell back on forward passes.

Stiner Doesn’t Play

Lonnie Stiner, injured in the Kansas game, was on the sidelines throughout, Coach Bearg not desiring to risk further injury to Ed Weir’s running mate. Absence of Stiner gave Ray Randels a chance at his first “big league” contest and the Anthony boy made good, factoring in spilling Sooner attacks at his section of the line and being alert for recovery of fumbles. Raish and Scholz, guards, also came in for their share of the glory, the Grand Island big boy being a particularly tough nut for the Sooners to crack.

Nebraska’s first touchdown was the result of some powerful off-tackle work by Choppy Rhodes and Glenn Presnell. Rhodes started the fireworks with a spectacular return of the opening kickoff, planting the ball on the Nebraska 11-yard line.

While Rhodes was the big driving power in the 59-yard offensive which netted the first touchdown, Presnell relieved the Ansley youth at times for good gains. Nebraska after the first kickoff did not relinquish the ball until a touchdown had been registered. An 18-yard end run by Rhodes and eight-yard off tackle smash by Presnell carried the ball to the Oklahoma three-yard line and Rhodes plunged across on the third play.

Break Sooner Attack

Forward passes enabled Oklahoma to bring the ball into Nebraska territory following the next kickoff. The Sooners had a neat bag of aerial tricks which included a forward pass following a double pass behind the scrimmage line. The Huskers broke up the Sooner attack and took the ball on the Nebraska 28-yard line.

Weir promptly punted out of danger and the first quarter ended with Oklahoma in possession of the ball on its 41-yard line.

The second period was mainly a battle in the air in which the Sooners held the advantage. With the wind at their backs, Oklahoma launched a passing offensive which gained 49 yards and placed the ball on the Nebraska 25-yard line as time was called for the end of the second quarter.

Nebraska outplayed the Sooners decisively during the third quarter, carrying the ball 90 yards while the best the Sooners could do was a feeble advantage of three yards – yet the Huskers failed to score.

Presnell was hurt during the second quarter and failed to return at the start of the second half. Dailey was inserted into the Nebraska backfield and Jug Brown was placed in a position to tote the ball, coming through with some good advances.

Locke Tumbles Again

The Huskers seemed on the way to a touchdown early in the third quarter when powerful line plunges by Rhodes, with an occasional dash around the ends by Locke, carried the ball to Oklahoma’s 8-yard line. Locke fumbled a try at end and Wilcox recovered for Oklahoma, Lamb promptly punting out of danger.

Failure of Ed Weir to hang on to a forward pass halted another Nebraska rally. Brown hurled the oval 30 yards to the Nebraska captain, who caught the ball over one shoulder. The pigskin slipped from his grasp just as he appeared set for a touchdown-scoring sprint and a Sooner pounced upon it.

Again the toe of Lamb was called upon to push back the Cornhuskers, but once more Nebraska rallied and had possession of the ball on the Oklahoma 39-yard line as time was called for the third quarter.

Rhodes headed the attack at the start of the period which carried the ball within one foot of the Oklahoma goal, where the Sooners took it on downs. Lamb once more sent the ball down the field and the Huskers’ offense had gone for naught.

Score at Close

After an exchange of kicks, Nebraska gained the ball on the Oklahoma 33-yard line and uncovered the forward pass attack which netted the touchdown.

After two Nebraska passes had gone astray, Brown dropped back as if to try for a goal from the field. Instead he shot the ball to the far corner of the field to A. Mandery. The Tecumseh boy appeared blanketed by the Oklahoma safety, but he doubled back and plucked the ball from Slough’s outstretched arms and whirled to fall across the last chalk mark for a touchdown.

More coverage

World-Herald post-game coverage (PDF)

Series history

Nebraska is 38-45 all-time against Oklahoma.

See all games »

1925 season (4-2-2)

Illinois Oct. 3
Missouri Oct. 10
Washington Oct. 17
Kansas Oct. 24
Oklahoma Oct. 31
Drake Nov. 7
Kansas State Nov. 14
Notre Dame Nov. 26

This day in history

Nebraska has played 20 games on Oct. 31. See them all »

©2019 BH Media Group